Mojam Building Competition 2014
Announcing the Third Annual Mojam Building Competition!
Friday, 21 February 2014 - Sunday, 23 February 2014
Note: I have no idea when Mojam will actually take place. I'm taking a guess based on the last two years in order to plan a bit more in advance.
The results are in!
In 2012, I hosted a small Building Competition on The Shaftlands with the theme "Ancient Egyptian Steampunk" in honor of the first Mojam. We had a great turnout and some really excellent builds!
In 2013, when Mojang announced the Second Mojam, I scrambled to organize a larger, more elaborate competition on my own personal server. The Second Annual Mojam Building Competition was an 18 hour build with teams of up to 5 players. Teams were able to choose from any of the theme brainstorming words generated for the Mojam, which led to some incredibly interesting and creative builds!
In an effort to better prepare and organize this year, I am starting preparations now so that this year's Mojam Building Competition can be bigger and better than ever!
- All details are currently tentitive and open to discussion.
- 24 Hour Build Time
- Build Start Time: 21 February 2014 6:00 pm CST (UTC - 6)
- Build End Time: 22 February 2014 6:00 pm CST (UTC - 6)
- Livestreamed Build tour: 22 February 2014 6:00 pm CST (UTC - 6)
- Builders show judges around their build, pointing out key features, and explaining their design.
- At no particular time is any player required to be in attendance.
- The 24 hour build time is to allow all my friends around the world to participate.
- No one is expected to build for the entire 24 hours.
- Last year, most teams built for 4-6 hours.
- No member of your team is required to be in attendance for the build tours. However, if you cannot attend that portion, a private tour can be scheduled to take place at an earlier time if you would like.
- Build in teams of up to 5 or go solo!
- Players may belong to more than one team if they wish, but it's up to you how to divide your time.
- Plots will probably be roughly 160 blocks square, but if you believe you'll need more room, let me know ahead of time and we can work something out. Last year I think everyone had too much room and it was hard to find each other.
- Creative Mode (with access to command blocks)
- Server IP: mc.alphavbeta.net
- The server is currently on a private survival world. You're welcome to build if you'd like, but the competition world will not be up until Friday.
- Prizes: Mostly bragging rights, but likely some Steam games and/or Mojam bundles as well. If anyone would like to donate additional prizes, let me know.
- I will livestream at Twitch.TV/Faume
- Anyone else is free to record or livestream
- We will likely hang out in Ventrilo or Skype throughout the competition
To enter, please fill out this Google Form. You can edit your team once you submit it if plans change.
- Themes - Choose at least two to base your build on.
- Judging will be based on:
- Creative interpretation of the themes
- Quality of the build
- "Wow" factor
- Gut feeling
- In addition to a top three, there will be several special prizes for anything I feel like. :-)
- In past competitions, builds that told a story (not literally with words, but story through building) have left a big impression. The number of builders in a team will be considered. Builds filled with interesting detail typically rate higher than builds that try to make up for lack of detail with sheer size.
- Have fun! Don't worry about "winning"!
- Let me know if you have any questions!